Last updated on 14 November 2022
In this Data Privacy Notice (the “Privacy Notice”), the EDGE CERTIFIED FOUNDATION (“the EDGE Foundation”, “we”, “us”, “our”), describes how edge-cert.org, (“the Website” or “Website”) operate and how EDGE Foundation collects, uses, and shares information, including personal data, gathered from visitors (“you”, “your”) to the Website or in the course of activities conducted by EDGE Foundation elsewhere, when EDGE Foundation acts as the controller of that data and when its processing is governed by the Swiss data protection law or the European Union’s (“EU’s”) General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”), or any other applicable regulation.
Note that this Privacy Notice relates solely to the scope define above.
The EDGE Foundation collects information that you provide to us as well as from third parties. Furthermore, the EDGE Foundation collects information from you automatically when you use the Website.
Information You Provide to Us: The EDGE Foundation collects information from you when you use the Website or services available through the Website. The information referenced above may include your personal data including, by way of example, your name, postal address, telephone number, fax number, e-mail address, subscriber/screen name.
Data Collected from Third Parties: The EDGE Foundation may obtain data from third parties and, where permitted by law, appends this data to other data that we already maintain about you. For additional information, see Cookies and other tracking technologies as well as Third-party services below.
Automatically Collected Data: The EDGE Foundation and its third-party service providers collect data about you automatically when you visit the Website, namely through ‘cookies’, ‘web beacons’, and other tracking technologies. When you access the Website, communications data (e.g., home service domain name and Internet protocol address) or utilization data (e.g., information on the beginning, end, and extent of each access, as well as information on the services that you accessed) may be generated. As permitted by applicable law, the EDGE Foundation and its third-party service providers may combine this information with the personal data that the EDGE Foundation collects about you.
For additional information, see Cookies and other tracking technologies as well as Third-party services below.
Information That We Require
Where the collection and processing of personal data are required by law or to perform a service, the EDGE Foundation will request it from you. Failure to provide such data may result in the EDGE Foundation being unable to provide the service you request.
Using Your Information
The following is an overview of the purposes for which the EDGE Foundation uses your information, including your personal data. Additional details on how the EDGE Foundation process your personal data may be provided to you in a separate document.
All processing (i.e., use) of your personal data is justified by a “condition” (called a “legal basis”) for processing. In addition, processing of sensitive personal data is always specifically justified.
In the majority of cases, processing will be justified on the following legal bases:
- The processing is necessary for the EDGE Foundation to comply with a legal obligation (such as contractor vetting, accounting and tax recordkeeping, and responding to a law enforcement or court orders)
- The processing is in the EDGE Foundation´s legitimate interests, and not overridden by your interests and fundamental rights, and notably the EDGE Foundation´s legitimate interests in using Website visitor data to develop the EDGE Foundation´s standards and methodologies. For example, the EDGE Foundation may rely on its legitimate interests when processing personal, to improve such standards and methodologies (such as by soliciting your comments or tracking preferences on the Website), for promotional purposes, to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities
- You have consented to the processing, such as to send you direct information of the EDGE Foundation activities
The EDGE Foundation (or a third party operating on our behalf) may use your information, including your personal data, for the following purposes, as permitted by law:
- To communicate with you about information to some of the EDGE Foundation activities, to provide you with information about the standards and methodologies of the EDGE Foundation and/or respond to your inquiries
- To help the EDGE Foundation better understand how its standard and methodologies can be improved, such as by soliciting your comments, to contact you in order to conduct surveys or tracking your preferences when browsing the Website
- To improve the Website by tracking your activities on the Website, to understand the demographics of visitors to the Website by tracking your activities on the Website, and for other research and analytical purposes
- To comply with applicable legal obligations, including to respond to a subpoena or court order
- To protect the rights and interests of the EDGE Foundation as well as the rights and interests of other visitors to the Website, or other third parties, where we believe it is necessary to do so to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person or violations of this Privacy Notice
The EDGE Foundation may share your information, including your personal data, for any of the reasons described in USING YOUR INFORMATION above as follows:
- EDGE Strategy LTD We may share the information that we collect from you with EDGE Strategy LTD, a Swiss corporation
- Service Providers. We may share the information that we collect from you with third-party vendors, service providers, contractors, and agents who perform functions on our behalf. For example, we may use third parties to conduct surveys on our behalf, to perform information technology and other technical support functions, and for other purposes consistent with the purposes for which you have provided information to us
We may also share your information in the following circumstances:
- Transfers. If the EDGE Foundation is acquired by or merged with another organization, if all or substantially all the assets of the EDGE Foundation are transferred to another organization, or as part of preparation for such a transaction or as part of a bankruptcy proceeding, the EDGE Foundation may transfer in whole or in part the information we have collected from you to such other company
- In Response to Legal Process. We may also share the information that we collect from you to comply with the law, a judicial proceeding, court order, or another legal process, such as in response to a court order or a subpoena
- To Protect Us and Others. We may share the information we collect from you where we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person, violations of this Privacy Notice, or as evidence in litigation in which we, our affiliates, or subsidiaries are involved
- Aggregate and De-Identified Information. We may share aggregate or de-identified information with third parties for marketing, advertising, research, or similar purposes, including to assist us in determining relevant advertising platforms as well as to determine the success of our various campaigns
Cookies And Other Tracking Technologies
When you view the Website, the EDGE Foundation and its service providers may store some data on your device in the form of a ‘cookie´, ‘web beacon´, or other tracking technologies (collectively, “cookies”) to automatically recognize your device when you visit the Website. Cookies help the EDGE Foundation in many ways. For example, cookies can allow the EDGE Foundation to tailor your Website visit to better match your interests, as indicated by your activities when browsing the Website or other sites. Furthermore, cookies, for example, also help the EDGE Foundation and its service providers to understand what advertisements you have been shown or clicked on as well as to present you with advertisements that are more relevant to you.
PLEASE SEE MORE DETAILED INFORMATION ABOUT THESE COOKIES, INCLUDING INFORMATION ABOUT HOW TO BLOCK OR MANAGE THE COOKIES, IN EDGE FOUNDATION´S COOKIES NOTICE.
EDGE Foundation may use with the Website plug-ins provided by a third party (Plug-in Providers) when you use the Website. Plug-in Providers never store data outside the scope of their specific purpose.
Plug-in Providers are as follow:
- Purpose: Collects and analyzes data related to site usage and performance
- Purpose: Collects and analyzes data related to site usage and performance
- Purpose: Collects and analyzes data related to site usage and performance
- Purpose: Provides advertising or advertising-related services such as data collection, behavioural analysis or retargeting
Find out more about the purpose and scope of the data collection as well as about the processing and use of your data by Plug-in Providers and about your rights and possibilities to change settings to protect your data in the privacy statements of the respective providers linked above.
Retention Of Your Information
The EDGE Foundation applies a general rule of keeping personal data only for as long as required to fulfil the purposes for which it was collected, which in most cases corresponds to the applicable statute of limitations. Personal data used for promotional purposes will be retained no longer than is permitted pursuant to applicable law. However, in some circumstances EDGE Foundation may retain personal data for other periods of time, for instance where we are required to do so in accordance with legal, tax, or accounting requirements, or if required to do so by a legal process, legal authority, or other governmental entity having authority to make the request, for so long as required.
Your Rights Regarding Information
The EDGE Foundation will take steps in accordance with applicable law to keep your personal data accurately, complete, and up-to-date. You are entitled to have inadequate, incomplete, or incorrect personal data corrected (that is, rectified).
You also have the right to request access to your personal data as well as to obtain additional information about the processing.
In the event your personal data is processed on the basis of your consent, you have the right to withdraw consent at any time, without affecting the lawfulness of processing based on consent before its withdrawal.
Further, you are entitled to object to the processing of your personal data and have your personal data erased, under certain circumstances.
Your rights also include:
- Right to erasure – you are entitled to have your personal data erased under specific circumstances, such as where you have withdrawn your consent, where you object to processing based on legitimate interests, and we have no overriding legitimate grounds (see below) or where personal data is unlawfully processed
- Right to the restriction of processing – you have the right to restrict our processing of your personal data (that is, allow only its storage) where:
- You contest the accuracy of the personal data until we have taken sufficient steps to correct or verify its accuracy
- Where the processing is unlawful but you do not want us to erase the personal data
- Where we no longer need your personal data for the processing, but you require such personal data for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims; or
- Where you have objected to processing justified on legitimate interest grounds (see below), pending verification as to whether we have compelling legitimate grounds to continue processing
Where your personal data is subject to restriction, we will only process it with your consent or for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims.
- Right to object to processing based on legitimate interest legal basis – where we are relying upon legitimate interests to process personal data, you have the right to object to that processing. If you object, we must stop that processing unless we can demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for the processing that override your interests, rights, and freedoms, or we need to process the personal data for the establishment, exercise, or defence of legal claims. Where we rely upon legitimate interest as a basis for processing, we believe that we can demonstrate such compelling legitimate grounds, but we will consider each case on an individual basis
- Right to object to direct marketing (including profiling) – you have the right to object to our use of your personal data (including profiling) for direct marketing purposes, such as when we use your personal data to invite you to our promotional events
- You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority of your habitual residence, place of work, or place of alleged infringement, if you consider that the processing of your personal data infringes applicable law
Please contact us through the contact details provided in this document if you wish to exercise any of your rights, or if you have any inquiries or comments regarding the processing of your personal data.
To help protect your personal data against accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, or alteration, and against unauthorized disclosure or access, the EDGE Foundation uses reasonable technical and organizational security measures. However, please note that no data transmission over the Internet, especially the use of email, can be guaranteed to be secure. We are not responsible for any lost, stolen, or compromised passwords or for any activity on your account via unauthorized password activity.
Links To Other Websites
Please be aware that the Website may contain links to other, third-party websites that operate independently of the EDGE Foundation in whole or in part and to which this Privacy Notice does not apply. Such third-party websites may also reference or link to the EDGE Foundation website.
The EDGE Foundation shall not be responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such third-party websites and denies any responsibility for such privacy practices and content. Without limiting the foregoing, any transactions that you enter with any vendor, merchant, or another party that you access through such third-party websites are solely between you and that vendor, merchant, or another party.
This Privacy Notice shall not apply to any such third-party sites. For applicable provisions governing privacy on third-party sites, please refer to the privacy disclosures (if any) of the third-party site.
Changes To Our Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice may be updated from time to time in response to changing legal, technical or business developments. The most current version of this Privacy Notice will govern our use of your personal information. If we make a material update to our Privacy Notice, we may provide you with notice prior to the update taking effect, consistent with the significance of the updates we make. We encourage you to periodically review this Privacy Notice to stay informed about our collection, processing and sharing of your personal information. You can see when this Privacy Notice was last updated by checking the “last updated” date displayed at the top of this Privacy Notice.
EDGE CERTIFIED FOUNDATION – Vorstadt 2 – 6300 Zug – Switzerland [email protected]